Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pineapple Lime Sherbet


I have a new subscription to Cooking Light magazine.  I read it while I'm sitting in the carpool pick up line at school waiting for my kids.  I found so many new recipes I want to make, and this is one of them.  This recipe is adapted from the March 2011 Cooking Light issue.

The original recipe is simply called "Tropical Sherbet" because it uses 3 parts pineapple, 1 part papaya.  We don't care for papaya, so I just used all pineapple.  I also added lime zest.  This is a great tropical treat that will make you want to be at the beach listening to the ocean.

Ingredients:

2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup water
4 cups fresh pineapple, cubed (1 whole)
3/4 cup coconut milk (found on Asian aisle)
1 T fresh lime juice
zest of lime (optional)
1 T light corn syrup

In a small sauce pan over medium heat, stir together the sugar and water until sugar completely dissolves.  Remove from heat and let cool.  This is a simple syrup.

Combine cooled simple syrup , pineapple, coconut milk, lime juice, lime zest, and light corn syrup in a blender, and process until smooth.

Note:  Original recipe says to strain the mixture over a fine sieve and discard solids.  I chose not to do that to have more texture.

Pour sherbet mixture into the freezer can of an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.  Transfer to an air tight container, and freeze for 2 hours, or until firm.  It was also very good soft serve!  Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. This looks great Rhondi! Love all those flavors, almost like a frozen pina colada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I just love cooking light. For some reason I still haven't recieved my March issue... Hmmm. Thanks for giving me a sneak peak :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so light and refreshing...yum! Don't you love that school pick up line? Really makes my day :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful, Rhondi and I love that you not only used lime but pineapple and coconut milk - yum! Wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, sounds so refreshing. I'll have to try this sometime. By the way, TWO of your recipes made it to Sweets for a Saturday's top 5. What can I say? People love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome! I love this idea of this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see someone is so ready for Spring! :) With the weather in LA being mid-80s during the day, I can use a tub of this Pineapple Lime Sherbet! Sounds delicious. Great job in replacing that papaya with pineapple! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds very refreshing and yummy! I love pineapples and coconuts.

    ReplyDelete

I love that you stopped by and are taking the time to leave a comment! I really enjoy reading them all. Thanks so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails