Friday, January 28, 2011

Valentine Chewy Sugar Cookies



I wanted to make my hubby and girls some Valentine cookies this weekend, and sugar cookies are their absolute favorite.  My hubby likes his sugar cookies simply rolled in sugar.  My girls like theirs with almond flavored icing and pretty sprinkles.  I always make them both ways so everybody is happy.  

I have a few sugar cookie recipes that I use for rolled cookies.  I also have a few recipes for drop cookies.  But none of them have the chewy texture that we really love, so I went on a google search to find the perfect Chewy Sugar Cookie recipe.  My family is so happy that I finally found it at Fine Cooking.

I decorated my girls' sugar cookies by drizzling with almond icing, and then using sprinkles, jimmies, and candies.  I decorated my hubby's by rolling in blue sanding sugar before baking.  They all vanished within a day.  I was only able to make 16 large cookies with this recipe, so you might want to double the recipe just to be sure you have enough for a couple of days! 

Ingredients:

3/4 cup plus 2 T granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened but not melting soft
2 T butter flavored shortening
1 large egg
1 T light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups plus 2 T all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
sugar, or colored sanding sugar for rolling (if using)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or use non-stick cookie sheets. 

In a large stand mixer bowl, cream together the sugar, butter and shortening until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add the egg, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract and beat for 1 minute.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add to the wet ingredients and mix just to combine, scraping down sides as needed.

Roll the dough into walnut size balls.  Roll in sugar or colored sanding sugar (if using).  Arrange on a baking sheet one inch apart.  Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and the tops are slightly cracked but not completely set.  Let the cookies cool on the hot cookie sheet for 3 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Almond Icing

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
milk

In a small bowl, add the powdered sugar and almond extract.  Stir in just enough milk to get the right consistency for drizzling.  Put icing in a plastic sandwich bag and snip a small corner of the bag.  Drizzle over top of the cooled cookies and decorate with sprinkles, jimmies, or candies.  Enjoy!




12 comments:

  1. Love love love a good chewy sugar cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a good soft and chewy sugar cookies, I'll have to try these, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chewy sugar cookies looks lovely! Good idea to make a double batch of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great blog. Thanks for inviting me and visiting Prairie Story! ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. A chewy cookie is the best! I love Fine Cooking. BTW, you have some cute little chefs there:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! Your pictures are awesome! How wonderful you work to make everyone happy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sugar cookies are my husband's favorite! I'm sure he would love these. I'm liking all the valentines's recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMY! I love Valentines Day theme cookies! Super Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely cookies! I love sugar cookies and you have decorated these so beautifully.

    By the way, I'm co-hosting a new foodie blog hop called Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home. I'd love it if you would come along and join in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What pretty little cookies. I really like that one with the heart sprinkles all over it. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. Hope you'll be able to join in again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My cookies did not flatten out like yours and were more "plump"... Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flatten out slightly before baking using bottom of round drinking glass sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you stopped by and are taking the time to leave a comment! I really enjoy reading them all. Thanks so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails