Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tex-Mex Chicken Chili


Tex-Mex is my favorite cuisine.  Well, that and Italian.  It's hard to choose, but this week, it's Tex-Mex.  I wanted to use the rest of a rotisserie chicken from the night before, and I usually use it in either some type of soup or casserole dish.  I would have liked to make some Chicken and Cheese EnchiladasChicken and Cheese Taquitos, or a simple Chicken Enchilada Casserole.  But I was a good girl and made a healthful Tex-Mex Chicken Chili with just a little shredded cheese on top.

This chili was really flavorful, especially with all the fresh toppings of pickled jalapenos, grape tomatoes, green onions, and shredded cheese.  My hubby even enjoyed it...yea, I got him to eat some chicken AND veggies.

Ingredients:

2 rotisserie chicken breasts, diced or shredded
1 T olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
kosher salt
black pepper
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1 can petite diced tomatoes, drained
1 can diced green chilis, drained
1 can Cannellini beans, drained
1 can red kidney beans, drained
1-2 cans low sodium chicken broth, depending on how thick you want it

In a large soup pot over medium high heat, heat olive oil and saute onions with salt and pepper until translucent.  Add the garlic and cook another minute.  Add the spices, and let them toast for a minute while you stir.  Add the remaining ingredients, including the chicken.  Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Taste and adjust seasonings.

Top with your favorites and Enjoy:

pickled jalapenos
green onions
tomatoes
avocado
shredded cheese
tortilla strips




5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for commenting on my post. I love your recipe for the Tex Mex Chili. We lived in Texas for a couple of years and I fell in love with so many Texan dishes. I'm really enjoying browsing through your other recipes as well. I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tex Mex is up there on my favorites as well. Love this soup

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I ever tell you I made your chicken and cheese enchiladas? I made them when my son was home over the holidays and we all loved them (including two of his friends) This soup looks like it would be right up my alley. I love tortillas in soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment! Yep..having a great week. Hope you are having one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I love this recipe!! Thank you so much for coming over and sharing it at the linky party today!!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you stopped by and are taking the time to leave a comment! I really enjoy reading them all. Thanks so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails