Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Spaghetti and Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs


My hubby and I were eating lunch yesterday afternoon when he turned to me and asked, "What's for dinner?  Or are we ordering in again?"  I was like uh oh, I guess I need to figure out a nice dinner to make on his day off work.  He usually gets his dinner heated up when he gets home from work.  We enjoy when he's home to eat with us at the dinner table.  My hubby is a meat, potato, and pasta man.  I decided to throw together my own meat sauce and meatball recipe using what we had in the fridge and pantry.  I was a bit sad that we were out of fresh mushrooms, but my family didn't mind at all.

I used both lean ground beef and Italian sausage in the meat sauce and meatballs.  I used half in each and it made plenty of meatballs with leftovers.  These meatballs were so moist and tender.  They were the best I've ever made or tasted.  Spaghetti is one of those meals that is really good reheated the next day.  I just had some for lunch after taking some daytime pictures of our delicious dinner.   

Meat Sauce Ingredients:

2 Italian sausage links, casings removed
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T Italian seasoning
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
3 - 15 oz cans tomato sauce
1 - 15 oz can diced tomatoes with juice

In a large stock pot, brown the sausage and ground beef.  Add the onions and cook until translucent.  Add the garlic and cook another minute.  Add the seasonings, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes.  Stir well and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the sauce has slightly thickened. 

While the sauce is simmering, you can make the meatballs. 

Meatball Ingredients:

3 Italian sausage links, casings removed
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp Italian seasoning
Kosher salt
black pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
grated parmesan
fresh small mozzarella balls (found in specialty cheese section by deli)

In a large bowl, put all the meatball ingredients except the mozzarella balls.  Use your hands to mix together.  Take a handful of the meat and put a mozzarella ball in the middle.  Form the meat around the mozzarella ball and place them on a baking sheet.

In a large skillet on medium high heat, add some olive oil.  Brown the meatballs on all sides in batches.  When the meat sauce is ready, add the browned meatballs.  Make sure the meatballs are pushed down into the sauce, cover, and let cook on low heat for about 15 minutes, or until completely cooked through.

Toss cooked pasta with meat sauce and serve sprinkled with grated parmesan.  Enjoy!



7 comments:

  1. My hubby usually gets dinner heated up too as he works mostly afternoons/evenings. I've never thought of putting cheese INSIDE the meatballs. I bet it's melty and gooey and delicious. And I just love Italian sausage in my spaghetti and meatballs. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spaghetti and meatballs, your recipe sounds fab! And it is good reheated the next day! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe sounds great. Glad to see you can take photo's again. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mozzarella ball hiding inside the meatball - What a great surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband gets homee too late to eat dinner with us too. He has Mondays off so we enjoy eating together when we can.

    The meatballs sound really good with the cheese inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this tonight and it was AWESOME! Big hit with hubby and the Gnat ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. jasON EDMOUNDSJune 23, 2011

    Looks great!!! that's one of my favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you stopped by and are taking the time to leave a comment! I really enjoy reading them all. Thanks so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails